When I was little, I used to do my mother’s makeup before she had a dinner party or an evening out. My mom is that woman who looks effortlessly gorgeous with just a swipe of lipstick, but she loved a little glamour and I have always loved to do makeup. I would sit her on the edge of the tub and carefully apply eyeliner, mascara, shadow and a hint of blush. These were beautiful moments of hushed togetherness in which I could give something back to my mom.
Maybe your mom is the one who taught you how to use makeup, but could use an update. Or perhaps she doesn’t wear much makeup at all. In any case if you are reading this blog, you must love makeup. What better way to give your mother a little time and attention, not to mention a beautiful boost to her self-esteem, than to give her a makeover?
Sunbeam (or Moonglow) Quad Bronzer is a perfect place to start because it does so much with so little effort. Use it to add a hint of light and warmth to the face of even the most no-fuss mom. Just swirl the White Fan Brush around in all four colors, and sweep over cheekbones, eyelids, hairline and temples. Or go for the glam and create an entire look with it:
- Use the Large Shader Brush to apply the lightest shade on the entire lid, from lashes to brow. This adds light and lift to the eye area.
- Choose one of the darker shades to add a little color just above the crease. Use a light hand with any contouring: we don’t want to accentuate any hollows in the eye area.
- The darkest brown shade adds just a touch of definition to the outer corner. Use the Eye Shader Brush to press a tiny bit of the darker brown shade to the outer third of they eye.
- This shade can also be applied with a moist Detail Brush as a soft eyeliner around the outer third of the upper and lower lashes.
- Finish the eyes with Longest Lash Thickening and Lengthening Mascara. My mother, who hasn’t used mascara in years, fell in love with this when I gave it to her. Lashes look naturally long, full and feathery, no spider lashes here; but most importantly it conditions the lashes to keep them strong and healthy. Try a softer shade such as Slate Grey or Espresso if Black Ice looks too harsh.
- Use the White Fan Brush for a softer look or the Dome Brush for more color. Choose just the pink shade or swirl it in all four shades for a multi-dimensional glow. Get your mom to smile (that should be easy) and dust it over the apples of her cheeks.
- Highlight the tops of cheekbones, the temples and the hairline with the lightest shade, or again, swirl in some of the other lighter shades.
- Use the Deluxe Shader Brush to apply the pink shade to the lips. Top with LipDrink Lip Balm.
- Alternatively, introduce your mom to Just Kissed Lip Plumper. The time-release peptides hydrate, soften and stimulate collagen synthesis. The look is sheer and youthful.
Here is a video that shows how to get an entire look using these products. The lucky girl having her makeup done is a busy single mother of two 😉