Eyebrows have come center stage in the world of makeup; a full, defined brow is in demand more than ever. Perfectly groomed brows frame the face, and if done correctly, can act as an instant eye-lift. They set up your eye area making any eye shadow, liner and or mascara pop and ensuring your eyes become the focal point. To achieve your perfect eye brows, follow these quick steps.
First things first, put down and step away from the tweezers. Over tweezing leads to overly thin and misshapen brows, which require more work on your end to make them full and beautiful again. If any tweezing will take place it should occur at the end of grooming your brows to clean up excess hair. Remember, we tweeze our brows, we do not pluck them.
How to Shape Your Eyebrows
Brow shape is unique to everyone’s face. Eyebrows are not a one size fits all situation; what looks stunning on your best friend or favorite celebrity, may not be the best shape for you. Here are three steps to help you find the most perfect brow shape for your face:
- To find out where your brow should begin (point A), align the flat edge of a straight makeup brush to the outside of your nose/inner corner of your eye.
- Your true arch (point B) is found by taking your brush and laying it diagonally from your nostril to the outside edge of your iris.
- Determine where your brow should end (point C) by using your brush to create a line from the outside corner of your nose diagonally to the outside corner of your eye.
The Perfect Brow for your Face Shape
- For a Round Face: To minimize the curve of a round face, direct the outer third of your brow towards the top of the ear.
- For a Square Face: If the face is square, direct the outer third of your brow toward the middle of the ear. This helps balance the face.
- For a Long Face: If the face is long, keep the brow more straight across, directing the outer third above the ear.
- For an Oval Face: An oval face already looks balanced, but to enhance this harmony, you can direct the outer third towards the ear lobe.
The Perfect Brow for your Eye Shape
- For Wide Set Eyes: Make sure the inner corner of your brows are closer together. First, mark where your brow should begin by using the Eye Pencil in Taupe to make a small line towards the center of your nostril. Then, use all your other angles to determine where the brow should arch and end.
- For Close Set Eyes: Try not to make the mistake of over tweezing the area between your eyes; this will throw off they symmetry of your face. All you need to do is use the Retractable Brow Pencil to extend the true arch point out further, to give the eyes more of a wide set appearance.
- For Hooded Eye Lids: Your ideal brow is thinner. This will open up the eye area and it appear larger and wider. Try to avoid a large, heavy brow because it will create the illusion that the eye is being pulled down further.
- For Deep Set Eyes: Your goal is to offset any of the shadows seen around the whole eye area. Too dark eye brows will make your eyes appear deeper set than they really are. So, try working with a lighter brow shade, and keep your brow shape more angular. If the brows are too round in shape, they can actually accentuate dark circles.
- For More Mature Eyes: The trick is to not drag the end tail of your eyebrow down; no need to assist gravity. First, find your true arch. Then, slightly lift the tail of the eyebrow as you create the end point. This will create an illusion of a more youthful eye.
How to Define Your Eyebrows
- Once the eyebrow shape is determined, brush the hairs up using a little bit of Clear PureBrow Brow Fix Gel to show you what is going on with your brows, where you need to fill, and so on.
- Fill in any gaps and define your brows with the GreatShape Eyebrow Kit. Use small upwards strokes with the angle brow brush included in the eyebrow makeup kit to create lift and the illusion of natural hair.
- Seal your work with eyebrow gel to keep everything in place.
- Once your perfectly groomed eyebrows are filled in, you can tweeze away whatever is left over. This way you don’t risk over tweezing!
Share your beautiful brow looks with us on Instagram! Tag @janeiredale #BeautyWithBrilliance.
Shop the Look
PureBrow Brow Gel
GreatShape Eyebrow Kit
Retractable Brow Pencil