We all want to ace our Halloween costumes, and makeup is almost always a huge part of that. But, no one wants the skin irritation and acne that can come from traditional Halloween face makeup. Luckily, the skin-loving makeup you love (and may already have in your bathroom) can be used to create fantastical and spooky Halloween looks that will last all night and won't cause any scary skin reactions in the morning. Worried that you don't have the skills to recreate one of these looks on yourself? Not to fear, we've listed step-by-step instructions to make the application process one less thing to scream about.
Beginner: Spooky Skeleton Makeup Look
- White out the complexion with Smooth Affair® Illuminating Glow Face Primer and BB1 Glow Time in the center of the face. Set the cream products with White PurePressed® Eye Shadow.
- Using Basic Black Eye Pencil, carve out the cheeks from your temples to just below your chin. Blend the line down toward the jaw to create a smoky fade.
- Use Basic Blackto black out the nose, drawing on the underside of the nose and up toward the eyes.
- Use White Eye Pencil to line just outside the lip line. Fill in the lips with Basic Blackand pull the lip line out toward the cheeks. Finish the lips with vertical lines from above the lip to below the lip.
- Highlight the eyes by first applying Iced Brown Smooth Affair for Eyes from lashes to brows. Define the lids by patting Dark Suede from Daytime Eye Shadow Kit. Deepen the outer third of the lids with the matte Charcoal Greyshade in our Blue Hour Triple.
- Add extra dimension to the eyes with Steamy PurePressed® Eye Shadow on the inner two-thirds of the lid. Define the inner corner with WhitePurePressed® Eye Shadow. Add extra sparkle with Gold 24-Karat Gold Dust on the lids.
- Finish the look with lash conditioner and mascara.
Beginner: Violet Beauregarde Makeup Look
- Perfect your complexion with your favorite jane iredale foundation.
- Prime the eyes with Petal Smooth Affair for Eyes. Add a base layer of the matte peach from Sweet Spot Eye Shadow Triple on the lids. Blend the matte brown from Sweet Spot into the crease. And, add extra dimension with the pink shade in our Sorbet Eye Shadow Duo. Finish the eyes with the lightest shade of Rose Dawn Bronzer in the corner of the eyes followed by liner, lash conditioner and mascara.
- Create Violet's purplish-blue nose with the blue shade in our Blue Hour Triple. Blend the blue in a wide V-shape on and around the nose. Add shimmer with Shower from the Purple Rain kit.
- Highlight the tip of the nose with the lightest strip in the Rose Dawn bronzer.
- Finish with your favorite nude lipstick.
Beginner: Ursula Makeup Look
- White out the complexion with White PurePressed Eye Shadow all over the face.
- Add a purple hue to the skin with Shower from the Purple Rain Eye Shadow Kit. Define the cheekbones and collar bones with IrisPurePressed Eye Shadow.
- Highlight the eyes by first applying a light wash of Sapphire Mystikol to the lids. Top with the shimmery, light green shade from Harmony Eye Shadow Triple. Define the crease with a little bit of Soiree from Let's Party Eye Shadow Kit.
- Line the eyes with Onyx Mystikol and finish with lash conditioner and mascara.
- Fill in the brows to make them more dramatic with Onyx.
- Finish the look by creating bold red lips with Gwen Triple Luxe lipstick.
Intermediate: Glam Cartoon Makeup Look
- Perfect the complexion with your shade of Beyond Matte foundation for an extra flawless look.
- Using White/Pink Highlighter Pencil, line the inner corners of the eyes with the white side.
- Define the eyes with Twilight Eye Shadow Triple. Sweep a light layer of the shimmery berry on the lids and define the crease lightly with the grey. Finish with Black/Brown Liquid Eyeliner, lash conditioner, mascara and false lashes.
- Using Black Liquid Eyeliner, draw lines around the face and neck to highlight different areas like the brows, cheekbones, jaw and nose. Further emphasize these lines with the white end of the White/Pink
- Add red dots on the forehead and neck to create dimension using NaughtyPlayOn® Lip Crayon.
- Finish off the look with Fetish Lip Fixation topped with Jamie Triple Luxe.
Intermediate: Broken Doll Halloween Costume Makeup
- First, apply Smooth Affair® Oily Skin Face Primer to entire face using the foundation brush.
- Next, apply Glow Time® Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream in your shade to your face and neck; then, set it with your shade of PurePressed Base.
- Use PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation in a shade darker than your skin tone to contour your cheekbones and the sides of your nose.
- Then, mix the two darkest colors of the Rose Dawn Bronzer with the Dome Brush and apply it to the apples of your cheeks.
- To finish your cheeks, press three dots of Nutmeg Lip Pencil into the apples.
- Outline your lips with Nude Lip Pencil and fill them in with Cherish Lip Fixation Lip Stain. Finish by applying Charming PlayOn Lip Crayon.
- Apply White Eye Pencil to your lower lash line and bottom rim of your eye; the lower you bring the white the bigger the eyes will look. Then, using the Black Liquid Eyeliner rim the edge of the white pencil.
- Use the Smokey Quartz Mystikol® Powdered Eyeliner to apply color from the inner corner of your eyes.
- Then, use the Eye Shader Brush to apply Violet Eyes PurePressed Eye Shadow from lash line to crease.
- Draw a thin line over your eyebrows using the Basic Black Eye Pencil to create faux eyebrows.
- Finally, to create the cracked effect, draw the outline and fill in using the Basic Black Eye Pencil. Intensify the edge with Black Liquid Eyeliner.
- To create depth, add Taupe PurePressed Eye Shadow to one side of the edges and White PurePressed Eye Shadow Shadow to the other.
Intermediate: Doe-Eyed Deer Makeup Look
- Add extra dimension to the face by using a light shade of Glow Time BB Cream on the tops of the cheekbones, jaw and front of the neck. Add shadow under the cheekbones, on the sides of the nose and around the temples by using a PurePressed Basefoundation several shades darker than your skin. Take care to blend the nose contour up to the eye brows.
- Using the light shade of Glow Time, white out the lower lash line and down to the nose. Set with White PurePressed Eye Shadow and outline the white area with Bittersweet PurePressed Base.
- To add fawn-like spots use White Eye Pencil to make dots around the forehead, cheeks and chest.
- Create a little fawn nose with Basic Black Eye Pencil. Black out the tip of the nose and pull a line down from the center of the nose to the top lip and black out the top lip.
- Using Naturally Matte Eye Shadow Kit, create a sultry eye look. Apply Buttercreamfrom lash line to brows. Apply Hush to the lids followed by Eggplant in the outer 3rd of the lid. Define the crease with Slate Brown and Fudge.
- Line the eyes with Black Liquid Eyeliner and finish with lash conditioner and mascara.
- Finish by defining the brows with a slightly darker shade than normal.
Advanced: Black Cat Halloween Costume Makeup
- Apply BB1 Glow Time® Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream to your entire face and neck.
- Using Basic Black Eye Pencil, create the outlines:
- Three peaks on your forehead towards eyebrows.
- Curved lines from your hairline at the ear toward the nostril beneath the cheekbones.
- Two lines from the tip of your nose: up the bridge and underneath your eyes, angled toward the hairline.
- From the bridge of the nose (at eye level) into the crease of your eye and up towards the hairline.
- Lastly, from the tip of your nose to the cupid's bow, and line your lips.
- Fill your lips in with Cindy PureMoist Lipstick.
- Using Ebony PurePressed Eye Shadow and an Eye Shader Brush, fill in the peaks outlined on your forehead.
- Additionally, use the shadow to blend the lines on your cheekbones and the ones above and below your eyes in an upward direction.
- Using the Flocked Sponge, press and roll the Ebony PurePressed Eye Shadow onto your jawline and down your neck.
- Fill in the empty spaces between each outline with White PurePressed Eye Shadow and the Deluxe Shader Brush.
- Rim your upper and lower lash lines with the White Eye Pencil.
- Draw the hairlike details with the tip of the Onyx Mystikol on your chin, below your eyes and on top of your eyebrows. Also, use it to create the dots above the lips.
- Finally, use the Black Liquid Eyeliner to create the whiskers. Don't press too hard.
Advanced: Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice, Beetl....) Makeup Look
- White out the whole complexion and lips with WhitePurePressed Eye Shadow.
- Create dark purple circles around the eyes by first using Iced BrownSmooth Affair® for Eyes Eye Shadow/Primer, then IrisPurePressed Eye Shadow and Delugefrom the Purple Rain Eye Shadow Kit. Concentrate the majority of the dark color in the center of the eyes and blend outward so that the outer edges are a bit smoky.
- Line the eyes with Basic Black Eye Pencil.
- Add green around the temples and forehead and below the cheekbones with Shindigfrom our Let's Party Eye Shadow Kit. Blend the outer edges of the green contour with the light green shade in the HarmonyEye Shadow Triple.
- Add a green squiggle to the lower left corner of the lip going down toward the chin using Shindigand the light green in Harmony.
- Finish the look with lash conditioner and mascara.
Don't forget to share your Halloween looks with us @janeiredale with #GoodBeautyStories. Happy Halloween!