Have you ever looked at the back of your favorite makeup and wondered, “what is that ingredient and how does it affect my skin?” In our Ingredient Education series, we explore the skin benefits of some of our most interesting ingredients. Let’s talk about the beauty and skin benefits of Jojoba Oil!
It seems like there is a new, trendy oil every six months but why do we ignore some of the most used oils? For years Jojoba Oil has been over-looked as a powerhouse ingredient. It is included in a variety of beauty products from shampoos to eye liners and can even be found in over 20 jane iredale products, including: BeautyPrep Face Moisturizer, Dream Tint Tinted Moisturizer, HandDrink Hand Cream, In Touch Cream Blush, PureMoist Lipstick and Smooth Affair for Oily Skin Facial Primer.
When an ingredient is used so often, there has to be a reason why. With Jojoba Oil, the reason is simple. It’s a powerful, natural ingredient that works and has benefits for all skin and hair types.
What is Jojoba Oil?
Before we tell you why you should love Jojoba Oil as much as we do, here’s some background facts.
- Jojoba Oil is the liquid wax found in the seeds of the Simmondsia chinensis plant.
- Its structure is different than most other oils because it is biocompatible. That means it absorbs into the skin really easily.
- It’s rich in vitamin E, zinc, iodine, and other nourishing antioxidants, and it works like a humectant. Therefore, it draws water deep into your skin, and then seals it in for long-lasting hydration.
Want to know more about the skin benefits of Jojoba Oil? Check out these 5 reasons to love it below:
Jojoba Oil: Healthy Skin Benefits
1) It doesn’t cause breakouts
Many oils can feel heavy and clog your pores, but Jojoba Oil doesn’t cause breakouts. In fact, it could actually prevent them! Since it is biocompatible, it absorbs into the skin rather than sitting on top of it. Additionally, when in ester form, Jojoba Oil is actually “oil-free.”
Here’s a little science lesson: an ester is created by combining a fatty acid (Jojobal Oil) with a fatty alcohol (Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil). The two molecules rearrange themselves in a process called interesterification, becoming a new ingredient that is oil-free but has the same benefits of the original oil.
2) It helps with oil control
If that isn’t cool enough, Jojoba Oil helps in oil control. Since it keeps your skin well-hydrated, you body naturally reacts by decreasing sebum production in the affected area. Now you know why BeautyPrep Moisturizer helps keep oil at bay while still hydrating your skin!
3) It has skin healing properties
Not only is Jojoba Oil moisturizing, but it also has antibacterial and immune boosting properties to help heal wounds. The iodine in Jojoba Oil protects the skin from bacteria and the Vitamin E and B-Complex Vitamins help boost the skin’s immune response so you heal faster. So, if you have dry, cracked hands in the winter make sure to keep HandDrink around.
4) It protects from UV exposure
There are a handful of natural oils that provide UV protection, and Jojoba Oil is one of them. It has a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 4, which is great when paired with the other SPF ingredients in Dream Tint. It has also been found to slow the effect of UV exposure on collagen, meaning it can reduce the aging effect of the sun!
5) It’s fun to say!
This has nothing to do with skin care, but Jojoba is really fun to say. In a time when some cosmetic ingredients are almost impossible to sound out, it’s refreshing to see a world like Jojoba. Not only can you easily pronounce it, but you know it’s a natural ingredient that comes from plants. Here are some other versions of Jojoba Oil you may see in an ingredients list:
- Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil – Natural oil extracted from the beanlike seeds of the desert shrub Simmondsia chinensis.
- Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil – Jojoba Oil that is turned into a solid by adding hydrogen gas under high pressure.
- Jojoba Esters – An oil-free mixture of Jojoba Oil and Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, creating a true wax that is very similar to human sebum.
- Isopropyl Jojobate – A combination of two different jojoba esters designed to enhance moisture retention.
Jojoba Oil in Our Products
Below is a list of our Jojoba-infused products. Shop them all on janeiredale.com:
- Active Light Under-Eye Concealer
- BeautyPrep Face Moisturizer
- Beyond Matte Refill
- Disappear Full Coverage Concealer
- Dream Tint Tinted Moisturizer
- Eye Highlighter Pencils
- Eye Pencil
- GreatShape Eyebrow Kit (in the wax)
- HandDrink Hand Cream
- In Touch Highlighter
- In Touch Cream Blush
- Just Kissed Cheek & Lip Stains
- Just Kissed Lip Plumpers
- Lip Fixation (in the lip gloss)
- Lip Pencil
- PureGloss Lip Gloss
- PureMoist Lipstick
- Smooth Affair for Oily Skin Facial Primer
- So-Bronze Bronzer Refill
- Sugar & Butter Lip Scrub