This is the coldest time of the year so many of us are experiencing typical winter skin issues such as dryness, dehydration, redness and itching. This isn’t surprising with heaters and radiators drying everything out and extra coffee-drinking to feel warm. It’s no wonder why our skin is often in full crisis mode by February. To make matters worse, the winter skin only makes us look older as our skin becomes more textural and our color becomes blotchier.
Our immediate instinct is to wear makeup to even out the skin but some people may be reluctant to apply foundation with concerns of further irritation. We can’t blame them for thinking that way. There are a lot of foundations out there that don’t perform very well in cold weather. Well, you’ll be pleased to know that, at jane iredale, we have some excellent winter skin foundations that you’ll be delighted with.
What Foundation Is Best for Dry Skin?
At the top of our list is HydroPure Tinted Serum with Hyaluronic Acid and CoQ10. If there was ever a foundation made to repair dehydrated winter skin, this is it. We don’t have to tell you the first two key ingredients as they’re in the name but let’s talk about what they do.
- Hyaluronic Acid has an extraordinary ability to help skin hold on to water. As a matter of fact, it enables the epidermis to retain about 1000 times its weight in water. This is excellent news for our dry and dehydrated friends.
- The next ingredient, CoQ10, addresses the free radical damage. CoQ10 is a powerful tool for collagen and elastin support so, if you’re concerned with unwanted texture, it will definitely help.
- There’s also Allantoin which helps tone down redness and irritation.
HydroPure can be worn as a primer under any of our powders or over one of our Smooth Affair Primers for extra glow and smoothness. You’ll love the way it melts into skin and creates a dewy finish that lasts all day long. Learn more about how to use HydroPure Tinted Serum.
Keep in mind that there’s no sun protection in HydroPure so we typically combine it with an SPF product for optimal results.
The next solution we’re featuring for winter skin may surprise you because it’s actually a system that contains a powder. There’s a misconception that all powders will dry the skin but not this one!
PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation is a powder foundation that covers like a liquid, has no drying agents and features a skin-soothing formula packed with minerals and antioxidants. Our best recommendation is to use it in The Skincare Makeup System which consists of Smooth Affair Brightening Face Primer, PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation and POMMISST Hydration Spray.
- Smooth Affair Brightening Face Primer will give you a layer of hydration, create a hydrated finish and smooth out the texture of your skin.
- PurePressed Base will soothe and calm your skin while providing a broad-spectrum SPF. It contains Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide which are soothing and calming to even the driest skin. Learn more in this guide to PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation.
- POMMISST Hydration Spray will set the makeup for a long-lasting finish and give you even more hydration. Pomegranate is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin against environmental damage and works hand in hand with your SPF.
Skin Care Routine for Dry Skin
Along with the using the best possible skin hydration products and following a hydrating makeup routine for winter, there are also a few daily practices that will optimize your skincare and makeup regimen.
- When doing your morning and evening skincare, never let your face get completely dry. Apply treatment serums while skin is still damp from cleansing, apply moisturizer while skin is still damp from treatment and apply primer while your skin is still damp from moisturizer. Building your complexion on top of a layer of moisture helps keep skin more hydrated all day.
- Always use a Hydration Spray. After makeup application, spritz with POMMISST, Calming Lavender or D20 Hydration Spray for added moisture. Take your Hydration Spray with you and use it throughout the day.
- Add an Omega to your daily supplement regimen. Omegas help your skin cells to hold water more effectively and they tone down redness in the complexion. Our Skin Omegas from Advanced Nutrition Programme, combine Omega 3 for dryness and texture with Omega 6 for inflammation and redness. We recommend two a day. You’ll see the results within a few weeks of starting them.
- Be mindful of sugar and caffeine intake. Sugar and caffeine are two of the most inflammatory and drying substances you can put into your body. Try to limit your coffee intake to one cup per day and replace refined sugar snacks with fruit or healthier options. You’ll thank yourself later.
Wearing the right foundation in winter shouldn’t be a challenge and we like to pride ourselves on giving healthier options than traditional makeup has to offer. Remember that jane iredale formulas are made without the top sensitizers that are in traditional makeup. This includes talc, mineral oil, parabens, phthalates, synthetic perfumes and chemical SPF. What’s left behind is high performance skincare makeup that looks as good as it feels.If you’re not sure which foundation or combination to choose, remember that we’re here to help. Take our Foundation Finder Quiz to find your best shade and formula. We look forward to hearing from you!