Did you ever hear the age-old adage about stress causing breakouts? Well, it’s not just a wives tale, it’s true! Stress, anxiety and other emotions are directly correlated to causing a variety of skin conditions including acne, eczema, hives, rosacea and psoriasis. This is yet another reason we believe it is important to nourish your mind, body and skin. One way we like to take care of our mental and emotional state is by treating ourselves to an at-home spa experience.
The Effects of Stress on Your Skin
Before we get into our favorite relaxation tricks, let’s talk about why stress can impact your skin condition. When you are stressed, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. This hormone regulates the production rate of a variety of cellular processes. With “stress-acne,” for example cortisol increases the production of sebum (the oil in your skin) and makes you more likely to have a breakout. Another major impact cortisol has is on the structure of your skin cells. It reduces the production of collagen (the protein that gives your skin structure) causing your skin to sag.
De-Stress with an At-Home Spa Experience
Since more cortisol is produced when you are stressed, it is important to do things that help you relax. One of our favorite ways to do so is creating an at-home spa experience. Here are six simple ways you can DIY your own spa day:
- Take a long bath (bath bomb, anyone?).
- After your warm bath, take a quick shower to exfoliate your skin.
- Give yourself a simple facial with our 3 step BeautyPrep skin care routine: cleanse, tone and moisturize.
- Apply Golden Shimmer Face and Body Lotion or Tantasia Self Tanner and Bronzer, depending on the glow you’re hoping to achieve.
- Spritz your face and body with your favorite Hydration Spray scent.
- Pour yourself a cup of tea, sit back, and relax!
What are your favorite things to do to relax? Do you meditate? Do you love to go for a run? Share your tips in the comments below!
BeautyPrep Skin Care Collection
Tantasia Self Tanner & Bronzer
Golden Shimmer Face Body Lotion